Kirsten Scott is a partner in the firm. She advises and represents individuals with various employee benefit and employment matters, including pension and disability claims, medical leaves of absence, unpaid wages, misclassification and severance negotiation. She also represents clients in multi-plaintiff and class actions, including employee benefit and wage and hour matters.
Kirsten’s accomplishments include obtaining a landmark decision in 2017 from the California Court of Appeal establishing new law for public employee retiree benefits under the County Employees Retirement Law in Irvin v. Contra Costa County Employees’ Retirement Association, and helping retirees who lost millions of dollars in retirement savings win a $36.8 million judgment in 2014 in Beeson v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co., Inc., following a seven month civil trial in California Superior Court.
Kirsten speaks and writes on a variety of employment and employee benefit matters. She is a contributing author to Employee Benefits Law (BNA) and ERISA Litigation (BNA), and she is a past contributing author to the California Wage and Hour: Law and Litigation Practice Guide (CEB).
Prior to joining Renaker Hasselman Scott LLP, now Renaker Scott LLP, Kirsten was an attorney at a national employee benefits and employment law firm. She also previously served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Charles Breyer of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, and as a law clerk for the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission and Legal Aid at Work.
Significant Published Cases:
- Moon v. Board of Trustees of the PAMCAH-UA Local 675 Pension Fund, — F. Supp. 3d —, 2018 WL 3805917 (N. D. Cal. 2018).
- Irvin v. Contra Costa County Employees’ Retirement Assoc., et al., 13 Cal. App. 5th 162 (2017).
- Koeplin v. Klotz, et al., 265 F. Supp. 3d 1039 (N.D. Cal. 2017).
- Sizemore v. Pacific Gas & Electric Retirement Plan, 939 F. Supp. 2d 987 (N.D. Cal. 2013).
- Sizemore v. Pacific Gas & Electric Retirement Plan, 952 F. Supp. 2d 894 (N.D. Cal. 2013).
- Fernandez v. K-M Industries Holding Co., 585 F. Supp. 2d 1177 (N.D. Cal. 2008)
- Fernandez v. K-M Industries Holding Co., 646 F. Supp. 2d 1150 (N.D. Cal. 2009).