Kirsten Scott is a partner in the firm. She advises and represents individuals with various employee benefit and employment matters, including pension and disability claims, medical leaves of absence, and severance negotiation. She also represents clients in multi-plaintiff and class action cases involving employee benefit and employment claims.
Kirsten’s accomplishments include obtaining a landmark decision in 2017 from the California Court of Appeal establishing new law for public employee retiree benefits under the County Employees Retirement Law in Irvin v. Contra Costa County Employees’ Retirement Association, and helping retirees who lost millions of dollars in retirement savings win a $36.8 million judgment in 2014 in Beeson v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co., Inc., following a seven month civil trial in California Superior Court.
Kirsten speaks and writes on a variety of employment benefit and employment matters. She is Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association, and she is Co-Chair of the Employee Benefits Committee, National Employment Lawyers’ Association. She is also Chair of the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Solo and Small Firm Section. She is a past contributing author to Employee Benefits Law (BNA), ERISA Litigation (BNA), and California Wage and Hour: Law and Litigation Practice Guide (CEB).
Prior to joining Renaker Scott LLP, Kirsten was an attorney at a national employee benefits and employment law firm. She also previously served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Charles Breyer of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, and as a law clerk for the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission and Legal Aid at Work.
Significant Published Cases:
- Disberry v. Employee Relations Committee of the Colgate-Palmolive Co., et al., 2022 WL 17807122 (S.D.N.Y. Dec. 19, 2022).
- Moon v. Board of Trustees of the PAMCAH-UA Local 675 Pension Fund, 319 F. Supp. 3d 1193 (N. D. Cal. 2018).
- Irvin v. Contra Costa County Employees’ Retirement Assoc., et al., 13 Cal. App. 5th 162 (2017).
- Koeplin v. Klotz, et al., 265 F. Supp. 3d 1039 (N.D. Cal. 2017).
- Sizemore v. Pacific Gas & Electric Retirement Plan, 939 F. Supp. 2d 987 (N.D. Cal. 2013).
- Sizemore v. Pacific Gas & Electric Retirement Plan, 952 F. Supp. 2d 894 (N.D. Cal. 2013).
- Beeson, et al. v. Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co., et al., 2009 WL 2761469 (N.D. Cal. Aug. 31, 2009).
- Fernandez v. K-M Industries Holding Co., 585 F. Supp. 2d 1177 (N.D. Cal. 2008).
- Fernandez v. K-M Industries Holding Co., 646 F. Supp. 2d 1150 (N.D. Cal. 2009).